Hair Health: Vitamins and Supplements
Most of us have read that vitamins and supplements are good to take to help promote good hair health. However, there are so many vitamins and supplements available, that it is very difficult to decipher which ones are necessary and which are not specifically for hair health. It is also important to realize that all claims listed for these ingredients have not been the subject of clinical studies to back them up. They are however, based on conclusions from overall research on their structure and function extrapolated for their benefits for boosting overall hair health.
Lexington markets the HairMax® Essential Dietary Supplements for men and women. These are scientifically designed to contain the most specific essential vitamins and supplements to help maximize hair health. Therefore, we will discuss the ingredients for these products formulations, since they contain all of the ingredients considered ‘essential’ for hair health and also have a “Minimum Daily Requirement”.
- Biotin – This is vitamin H and is part of the B complex of water soluble vitamins. This vitamin is essential for hair health as it helps to produce energy for cells. Biotin helps to improve thin, splitting, or brittle hair.
- Vitamin B6 – Also known as pyridoxine, and is part of the B complex of water soluble vitamins. Pyridoxine helps to increase blood flow to the follicles, and enhance quality of the hair and overall hair health.
- Folic Acid – Also part of the B complex and known as vitamin B-9. Folic acid is important for aiding tissue growth, cellular function, and helping to prevent hair loss, so it is therefore a contributor to the production of healthy hair, and increasing overall hair health.
- L-Cysteine – This is an amino acid possesses strong antioxidant properties. This antioxidant action helps prevent free radical cascade which causes cell damage, so this compound supports cell health within the follicle, for better overall hair health.
- DHA – This is a form of Omega 3 and is an essential fatty acid. This compound has many actions, promoting cell growth, retaining the integrity of cell membranes, reduces inflammation and contributes to good hair health.
- Niacin – Also known as vitamin B-3 is also a water soluble vitamin and helps to dilate blood vessels to aide in better circulation of blood to nourish hair follicles which promotes better hair health.
- Manganese – This mineral plays a major role in activating enzymes of the body. It functions as an anti-oxidant to also prevent free radical cellular damage. It also helps in active absorption of biotin to aid in the restoration of hair health.
- Zinc and Selenium – These compounds function as anti-oxidants to also help reduce free radicals which damage cells which increases overall hair health.
- Pantothenic Acid – This is vitamin B-5 and one of the water soluble vitamins. This vitamin helps to nourish and strengthen hair follicles and their cells to aid in the prevention of hair loss and boost overall hair health.
- Iodine – This compound helps to prevent hair loss by strengthening cellular health and therefore boosting overall hair health.
The following ingredients are deemed to be important for overall hair health, but do not have a minimum daily requirement.
MSM – helps tissue health, Hyaluronic Acid – helps strength hair to prevent breakage and brittleness, Citrus Bioflavanoids – for anti-oxidant properties, Reserveratrol – yet another anti-oxidant, Inositol – helps boost health of cellular membranes for better follicular function, Beta sistosterol blend – functions as a DHT blocker which is a major cause of hair loss, Celery Extract powder – to strength hair and help prevent split ends, Nettles (Urtica Diocia) – thought to help stimulate hair growth.
Finally, the formulation for men contains Saw Palmetto – know to help prevent the conversion of testosterone to DHT and helps to promote hair growth. For the female formula, the ingredient Soy Isoflavone is used instead of Saw Palmetto, as a DHT blockers.
In conclusion, a well formulated vitamin and supplement product can truly aid in promoting hair health. They are an ideal complement to treatments with other proven hair growth products such as minoxidil and the HairMax Laser Devices. Be sure to read the label of any product you are considering buying, to assure that they are not simply ‘multi-vitamins’, but instead contain the specific ingredients as listed above which are essential for overall hair health.
Hair Health & Nutrition